Thursday 10 August 2017

A Favourite Rhyming Couplet


On my walk today a growling, sinister , pedestrian bass guitar came onto my headphones signalling the introduction to one of my favourite Half Man Half Biscuit songs, soon to be joined high pitched amaterish but efficient sounding guitars. The lyrics namecheck lots of seventies and eighties touchstones, "Jackie" magazine, Flintlock ,  Sade and T'Pau.

This is one of my many favourite songs of theirs documenting the minutiae of everyday mundanity. The album is "McIntyre, Treadmore and Davitt" named after three footballers in Michale Palin's "Ripping Yarns" episode "Golden Gordon" the synopsis of it is:

"Barnestoneworth United is the worst football team of 1935,who lose every match. Gordon Ottershaw is,however,their loyal fan,determined to prevent them from being disbanded after their final game. To this end he recruits the players from the renowned winning team of 1922 who turn up to defeat rivals Denley Moor."

The IMDB entry is here and the episode is here on youtube (this may be removed at some point).

Anyway back to the rhyming couplet that inspired this, it's from the final song "Everything's AOR Now" but actually links yuppies with 1960's wrestling. My grandma used to watch it every Saturday intoduced by Kent Walton featuring such stars as Mick McManus, Jackie Pallo and the subject of this couplet:

"She’s the main man in the office in the city
And she treats me like I’m just another lackey
But I can put a tennis racket up against my face
And pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki"

And when that came on it did bring a smile to my face. The full lyrics are here . If you love it as much as me you can get it here and all Half Man Half Biscuit's recording here, and lots of free session here.

Enjoy my friends.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for interacting